Gran Turismo 7 Regulation Settings Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sunday Night' started by Viperzed, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Viperzed

Viperzed GT7 League Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Viperzed
    Hi guys,

I'd like to start speaking about next season nice and early. We've seen some very strong numbers in both Div 2 and 3, however Div 1 has again struggled despite being OVER subscribed.

I believe this is partially down to the road car usage as race cars typically get a bit of a higher attendance rating in the higher divisions.

I'd love to hear some feedback on the season as a whole? I'll be introducing some tweaks for next season and consulting a tighter knit group of active drivers for the season in order to select cars/tracks. I'd like to ensure that the most committed of us all are having the most say, I think that would be fair if they are going to be the ones racing week in week out!

As always, open to feedback
    Cheers
    Kieran_B33 likes this.
  2. T-GT_Racing

T-GT_Racing Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    T-GT_Racing
    I genuinely thought I wouldn’t enjoy using the road car as most of my experience has been in sport mode, so predominantly Gr4/Gr3, but it’s been a fun change for me. It’s added a degree of unpredictability.
  3. Humblebeegee

Humblebeegee Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    HerbieOfOz
    I thought myself that the car and tyres for this season could affect numbers. It can be difficult to adjust to drive competitively. I have enjoyed the tracks selected as I feel they offer a wide selection of challenges for the car. Being relatively new to ROOZ I'm just happy to be involved in whatever racing is offered because it still hands down is a much better and funner experience than public lobbies.
  4. Savage_Duck_75

Savage_Duck_75 Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    Savage_Duck_75
    this car has been good for a change up to the last 2 I have been in. Good racing in div 3 and mature driving and respect from all. Like what has been said before. This is way better than tangling with people in public lobbies who have different interpretations to rules. As the game gets older and other players loose interest or another game takes them away. People just leave.
    Be nice to try an open wheeler or a gr2 or 1 for another change up. Personally I like forgiving cars like the current one in comparison to a couple I have tried which try to snap on you because the RNG and wind direction in cahoots with the slight gradient in the road.
    Open wheeler only for my VR experience and not much else
  5. ADZA_85

ADZA_85 Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    ADZA_85
    i think i love and hate this car.
    It is a great road car, but i find its performance and balance very skitzy, and there is perhaps more consistency in race cars.

GR3 and GR4 cars are guaranteed fun, but i do enjoy something a bit different when it comes to league racing.

Youll never please everyone i guess.

Is there a better attendance/less taper, during winter out of curiosity? personally for me, summer season league racing is hard because i compete in Windsurfing and sailing so depending on upcoming events, i may not get a minutes practice on the rig and i see my place in a Div 1 room as a wasted opportunity for someone else who may have rehearsed and offer more valuable racing. my 2c.
    Kieran_B33 and Savage_Duck_75 like this.
  6. Viperzed

PSN ID
    Viperzed
    Thanks for the immediate feedback guys. I think for our raw "pick up and play" format, Gr3 and Gr4 cars naturally work better due to them being quite easy to drive. Any road car has it's own quirks which require time to extract time out of. It of course does have great racing potential too, but those who dedicated the time to understand the car, will deservedly so, rise to the top.

Typically I haven't noticed any higher/lower attendance depending on the season but it's certainly something I'll keep an eye on.

I've been fooling around with the idea of introducing a teams championship and perhaps a more "marketed" style for Div 1 only (for now). I want to put a heavy emphasis on our recruitment and perhaps upping our social media activity. Rooz has always been slightly gatekept I feel, a place for community drivers to have some serious fun against quality opponents, but I think it is time we open our doors even further. If we all trust this community the way I do, the vast majority of new recruits would very quickly understand how we operate and would have no problems adjusting.
  7. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Perhaps embracing some new social platforms (given the age of the website), might assist in this as well?
    Viperzed likes this.
  8. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    Gr3 and Gr4 are definitely easier to drive, but maybe we could try some genuinely fast and fun road cars as well.
    The Subaru Impreza and Mitsubishi Evo are both super easy to drive and heaps of fun. Might be a touch boring for some, but it would guarantee close racing I reckon.
    Anything that has a good balance and doesn't want to spin when you get anywhere remotely close to the throttle should see good racing and high levels of participation. It's all about having fun and not getting frustrated trying to learn a car, especially for those who can't commit as much time to practice.
  9. Viperzed

PSN ID
    Viperzed
    Biggest problem with road cars like that is they have a much larger learning curve than any race car does down to their quirks. Ordinarily in Div 1, we'd never be this far away from Andrew, but the road car aspect really blows that out of proportion.
    T-GT_Racing likes this.
  10. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    The final season of GT Sport highligheted for me where my strengths lay. There were 10 races, 6 road cars, 3 gt3-4 cars and the Red Bull jr. Iwon in the two mid engine super cars, the red bull jr, the old mustang and the Honda 2-4 thingy. I was useless in the GT3-4 cars so have a guess where my heart is. This Porsche has too much corner entry under steer for my style but I have enjoyed it since I got in sync with it about round 3. I will race no matter what car as long as I am placed with drivers around my pace.
  11. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    I think the races in the 3 race sprint format should nbe scored from 16 for the win, 15 for 2nd 14 for 3rd etc. The round places then scored normally.
  12. RPeeM808

RPeeM808 Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    RPeeM808
    good idea !!
  13. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    isn't the whole point of having a greater points difference from 1st to 2nd, than 2nd to 3rd etc is to incentivize drivers to push for the win, rather than settle for second?

For example, in your proposed points system, a driver winning 1 of the 3 rounds, and placing 2nd in the other 2 (16+15+15=46), beats a driver who wins 2 of 3 and then places 4th (16+16+13=45)
    Viperzed likes this.
  14. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    If you have two back markers of equal pace and driver A finishes ahead in race 1 and 3 with neither on the podium but behind in race 2 with both on the podium, with current scheme the one that finishes ahead only the once gets more points.
  15. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    For example, doods finished ahead of herbie, hat and tolly twice but was 4th on the night behind all three. With one point separation between places he would have won the night outright. Eccles beat me twice but my podium in race 2 because I finished well back in race 1 put me ahead on points. Is finishing on the podium really more important than movement up the field?
  16. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Yes.

The podium is what all racing drivers aspire to step onto.

I understand your points, and movement up the field is important. However, compare your positive feelings having moved up the field to finish 4th, with moving up the field to finish 1st. Which one do you think you might feel better about?
    (In effect, hard fought 4th vs hard fought win. Both feel good, but I know which one I would prefer :) )
  17. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    I would be just as happy passing 4 to go from 10th to 6th as I would moving from 5th to 1st, but that is just me. The win does make your progress more obvious though I guess.
  18. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Maybe a couple of extra points for winning race 1 but winning reverse grid races isn't so deserving in my view.
    Unless you get there from way back on the grid, this is getting too complicated. Maybe 1/2 points for race two and three like the old two race format.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  19. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Here is a different idea:
    Normal Qualifying for Race 1 (full points)
    Reverse Grid for Race 2 (half points)
    1 Lap Qualifying for Race 3 (full points)
    Then the normal cumulative addition and assignment of round points

This tests:
    1. qualifying ability to build towards a good lap time
    2. standard race pace
    3. ability to work through the pack cleanly
    4. ability to put it all together for one fast lap with minimal mistakes
    5. A mix of 2 and 3
  20. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    This is what i assumed we were doing tbh. Considering races 2 and 3 are reverse grid, i figured they wouldn't be worth full points