GT6 Division 3 Season 8

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Jan 12, 2016.

1. skywalker

skywalker Professional

PSN ID
    S54VED
    Problem is with this car, that is not really an issue as it got high pwr and not the lightest thing going. Add to that no tire restrictions.. but it can't hurt.
  2. skywalker

skywalker Professional

PSN ID
    S54VED
    This would help more so.
  3. Easyprey007

Easyprey007 Professional

PSN ID
    Easyprey007
    Yes I agree about no mike made it difficult , As soon as we realised a flag was in the room we should have restarted. All said and done we do what the room captain says.
    Bluemoon did well to get a stable room off and running.
    I feel we need to have mike on before the race.
    It helps with the running of the room.:eek:
  4. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    Sounds like a challneging night. I think the voice being on would have to make it more manageable.
    JonoStan96 and Easyprey007 like this.
  5. Nathancarhead

Nathancarhead Team Driver

PSN ID
    nathancarhead
    I was pre quali. Got DSC from the room, tried to rejoin, and then i seemingly counldn't join any room, so i jumped off
  6. Cyberstig1

Cyberstig1 Rookie

PSN ID
    Cyberstig1
    @Hatfield @emmo46 @NAACS @Adronaught @Easyprey007 and all Rooz Racers.
    Gday all. Just a question re race room stability. As you know I pulled out this season re net issues - The question is - why are official rooms not friends only - this should stop random entries however I am not sure if this causes other problems. Alternatively if the room was operated inside the community section of GT6 would that not stop the issue completely. As far as I know only members can get in. Not that I have any proof but the gut feeling is that the no mic on option helps with room stability as bandwidth is not being used for audio. Adro asked for ideas - here is my two bobs worth. Personally I like penalties off as has been the case recently - it prevents passing during ghosting (which the game often gets wrong)
    Cheers - Cyber
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  7. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Race room stability does my head in. I'm on the NBN but still seem to suffer disconnects, particularly if we keep putting up new rooms, after about two new rooms I really have trouble getting in again despite clearing cache between rooms.
    I suspect my PS3 is getting tired as it takes a lot longer now to connect to online, save etc, I suspect I'll be stumping up for a PS4 soon. My G27 decided to not play nice on Sunday just as I was logging in to get to the room early. It just goes to full left lock after a coupe of shunts left an right on start up and stays there. i tried it in a time trial anyway but there was no steering at all. I had to desperately go to the man cave out the back a rummage through and find the old GT drive force wheel I put there two years ago because the brake pedal hangs on.
    Sundays race was therefore a learning experience as I re acquainted myself with the old wheel. I must have gotten used to it a bit during the race because I set my best ever lap on the last lap despite being on 13 lap old tyres.
  8. disturboed

disturboed Damian Hall Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    disturboed
    LOL Good on ya Emmo!!!

As for the whole voice on/off question, I am steadfastly against having it switched on.

Why? Firstly, I have lost count at the number of seasons that @Bluemoon has hosted (over GT5 & GT6) which have run pretty much the most stable out of any other room and smoothly in terms of operations (getting quali started, race time etc). Voice has never been enabled in any of those rooms.

Secondly, my mind goes back to a few seasons ago when we did have voice enabled for one race (moon not hosting). Everyone was supposed to turn their mics off during the race and the room host made a big thing about making sure this was done. Well, 5 turns into the race, the guy sees an incident on track and then jumps on his mic to tell a driver he needs to redress that or face a penalty. Mind you, this guy was not involved the incident, nor was he a room captain (just a host) so had no authority over the matter, but him jumping on the mic surprised a few people which caused dramas for others in the pack.

Hopefully, we can run the friends only room again, and fingers crossed we should all be sweet, We should all have a look at our friends list and do a bit of culling. Those people who last signed on 9 months ago, probably aint coming back online!
  9. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    @emmo46 how many GB is your PS3?

I found before Spa I only had 0.1GB of space left, so I deleted most of my data I had no use for.
    Also a good idea is to "de frag" the console. It certainly helps to speed up the console. You wont lose any thing except your background will be reset to default.

10. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    My theory about rooms is this
    If the fastest connection hosts then people with slower connections can get left behind
    If a slow connection host hosts then everyone else can keep up eg
    Adro has 20Mbs d/l and couldn't get a room going
    I have 600kbs d/l with the PS on wireless and hosted 15 drivers with a voice lobby and very few dramas. (the game quality is 'high' not 'very high'...only affects visuals slightly)
    maybe during the week someone with a below average connection ( but optimised with port forwarding or DMZ etc) sets up a room and you see how it goes. can't be any worse by the sounds
  11. arakasi-

arakasi- Professional

PSN ID
    arakasi-
    Rd1 stability, and hosting by @Bluemoon was top notch.
    Hopefully it was just one of those dodgy nights.
    Not fussed on mics, if it makes a more solid room, go without for sure.
    Easyprey007 likes this.
  12. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    do you know what moons connection speed is

here's mine from ozspeedtest.com
    Your Line Speed
    4.62 Mbps (4,624 kbps)
    Your Download Speed
    578 KB/s (0.58 MB/s)
  13. arakasi-

arakasi- Professional

PSN ID
    arakasi-
    No idea.....do you.............lets guess......i say a thousand :roflmao:
  14. arakasi-

arakasi- Professional

PSN ID
    arakasi-
    To play along , mine right now -
    ozspeedtest-
    line speed - 19.54 Mbps (19541 kbps)
    download speed - 2.4 Mbps (2443 kbps)
    -------------------------------------------
    edit-
    did it again, got
    line - 28.29 Mbps
    down- 3.54 Mbps
    is the busy "kids time" online now
    -------------------------------------------
    did it twice again, and was very close to second result
  15. Bluemoon

Bluemoon Professional Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    X-3vi1m00n
    Since we are talking about room stability, I will add my 2c + other facts :).

There are two main considerations when hosting. Topology and bandwidth.
    There are two topologies in use in GT6, and most other peer to peer games: star and mesh.

Star topology is used when you choose 'fixed room host', and mesh is used otherwise. The advantage of using star is that the host connection is the only critical connection, where a bad peer connection will only cause a problem for that user, and viewers of that car. An example would be cyberstig in R1. However, this means that the host will require NAT1/2 and an excellent upstream connect of at least 150kbps (15 connections x ~10kbps (without voice)). Adding voice to the mix will require an additional ~64kbps per connection, or 1.2Mbps.

Mesh topology is when a new entrant is connected to one or more other entrants (usually not the host). The advantage of this is that the upstream bandwidth is much less critical as it is now balanced through the field, instead of just the host. The main problem with Mesh is the unreliability of some users' upstream, especially if their connection is used for bittorrent, or other peer to peer apps (there are a number of peer to peer video apps as well). If we have a entrant with a bad connection, and the next entrant connects to him, both will be affect, and so on. Resulting in a chain reaction as we have seen many times with a chain of subsequent entrants not seeing all racers.

Mesh is now the standard for peer to peer games as it means we don't need a good host with NAT1 or 2. It just tries until it finds a user in the mesh with a reasonable connection (not necessarily good enough), and it also reduces the peak bandwidth requirements.

On to bandwidth. I was lucky to have ADLS-M and 1.6Mbps upstream. This allows me to easily host. Game data is very small, usually around 10kbps per user. However, if you start adding voice to the mix and fixed host, it quickly adds up and can saturate the link. Switching the mic off does not change the usage, at least in GT6. In most cases, the downstream connection isn't a problem, unless you have other users in your home saturating it. YouTube on a 1Mbps downlink will easily do it.

Anyway, I know what works for me, and it has worked well. PS3, PPPoE, NAT1, fixed host, high quality, no voice. I have a 50/20 3ms connection. Previously I had a 15/2 8ms ADSL2-M connection. Now that I'm on a more stable FTTH (Opticomm crap that was way oversubscribed last year), we can try voice if we really want to (I'm just really annoyed that no one ever stays quiet at the end of the race to wait for the back markers to finish, and of course what disturboed mentioned as well).

PS: NAT1/2/3 is GT game speak.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Cyberstig1 and arakasi- like this.
  16. Bluemoon

PSN ID
    X-3vi1m00n
    Game data is actually very small. Latency is more of an issue here. You can adjust the quality, but you suffer in the 'smoothness' of the car data updates. You will find this more of a problem when you at a fast portion of a windy track. I would suggest turning voice quality way down in this case.

Fixed host will solve the problem you mention.
  17. Bluemoon

PSN ID
    X-3vi1m00n
    On another note. Apologies to @Easyprey007 for clipping him during lap 1. I honestly didn't feel it and thought you caught the grass. @emmo46 will be administering the penalty.
    Easyprey007 likes this.
  18. Easyprey007

Easyprey007 Professional

PSN ID
    Easyprey007
    I did mine
    ozspeedtest-
    line speed - 23.58 Mbps (23.583 kbps)
    download speed - 2.82Mbps (2.823 kbps)
  19. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    I still don't understand how I can have a stable room with voice with my crap connection. I have Nat 2. I wasn't criticising your room @Bluemoon just trying to make some sense of it all.
  20. grassies

grassies Rookie

PSN ID
    grassies
    I remember that race like it was yesterday.
    its-benny-racer likes this.