PCARS Project CARS mini review time...have your say

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Kobus Maree, May 7, 2015.

1. Kobus Maree

Kobus Maree Rookie

Since I have had the game for about 3 years, I am a bit biased and wont put down a full review. I would however like to get other members' opinions on this game, not necessarily to help others make a decision on buy/dont buy - but just to share their impressions.

Pros
    beautiful graphics
    nice support on G27 wheel
    I have had fun racing online, ability to invite somebody on steam to join your game (from the lobby)
    predictable car handling imo
    nice selection of open wheelers, and GT3 cars
    deep career mode

Cons
    not very fond of the UI
    too much grip for the iracing crowd?
    Anon666 likes this.
  2. Beau_Albert

Beau_Albert World Champion

PSN ID
    iRacing: Beau Albert
    One thing I noticed very instantly is just how brutal the bumps and kerbs can be, and that was great fun coming from GT6 which kind of lacks that brutality. Using a controller isn't the best but it does feel like the game has a solid base physics wise and all the cars certainly can be attacked in different ways :) Career is fantastic so far, Online very lag-less which is great, but have noticed a few bugs in Single Player already. No matter what livery i choose pre race, it gives me a randomized one no matter how many times I select it. Works fine online but not SP :thumbsdown:
    Graphics, Sounds and Gameplay, and also ease of access in my opinion do beat Gran Turismo, but this game won't be the new Gran Turismo either.
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  3. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Pros: Next gen finally gets a good sim racer.

Cons: I don't have a next gen console...
  4. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    For a new IP it's very innovative - the exciting thing is now that the devs will be able to make some income (and not give most of it to a publisher, etc) they'll be able to make some pretty amazing improvements going forwards.
    G1bby3lit3 and Peter Wise like this.
  5. vh_mik

vh_mik Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    vh_mik
    Pros: THE SOUNDS!!!
    Great physics
    Detail in tracks and cars
    Aggressive AI at 100%. Makes you really work. Love it that they actually race you instead of moving over like GT6.

Cons: slightly touching the AI sends you off the road into the barriers
    Slightly touching grass or dirt..... Sends you off the road into the barriers
    AI can run the curbs easily, so you follow same line.... Only to 180 off the road.....into the barriers
    Over over over oversteer if you are on controller (still waiting on my wheel to turn up for PS4) so chicanes are a no go

Only done the karts (this seems like it just never ends) and the BMW turbo and only on a controller. The experience will be 100x better with a wheel.
  6. webnomad

webnomad Team Driver

PSN ID
    webnomad
    only an hour or two of play on PS4 ....so VERY early days...but....

+
    ...force feedback on a wheel....unlike ANY other game on consoles... so visceral...you really feel the track ...and this was on a Clio cup car ! ... this combined with the sound output and the graphics...these really put this experience ahead of anything on consoles right now...Polyphony have a new benchmark to beat IMO ...

...the freedom of the career progression is fresh and something that does take time to get used to...there is SO much to do ...so many choices......second the call outs on graphics and AI from above... the latter can hopefully be tuned via DLC ...soonish...

-
    ...menus suck a bit... stuff is buried ... some things are super adjustable...others are on / off (eg: traction / ABS) ...so questionable consistency...
  7. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Fired it up, and straight away everything is available. Disappointed in the amount of cars, spoiled by gran turismo I guess, and quite a few tracks that I know but will need relearning. Also bit disappointed in the number of tracks. So just wanted to do a comparison between the two, jumped in the Boss Mustang (which I've tuned and aero'd in gt6 for a series idea) and set single lap at Nord with 34(!!) opponents.(note: It must have changed back to 20, maybe didnt select it but it was there dammit) Loading times comparable to GTAV. Race loads up and OMFG!! It looks beautiful!!:eek::eek: Then the sound!! Yeah it nearly blew my eardrums (really loud for some reason?) but it was awesome. The Ai took off and were all over the shop into turn 1, 4 wide!! The controller is :):):):) for racing. (I tried changing it so the stick controls throttle after the race but it kept saying buttons still needed to be assigned so I gave up.) it's like learning to drive again and I can't believe I used to enjoy playing that way. Anyway, could barely stay on track in the early part of the lap, but the corners seemed to be in the places I expected and was used to. The track seemed a bit narrower and everything seemed closer than GT6, like the distances are more compacted? Does that make sense? It wasn't bad, just different. I started getting the hang of it after the first big straight section, and started making passes. The Ai are great, and even at 50% give it a good go. The grass is pretty grippy, which in some ways is good, but it's not supposed to be like that. The bumps and ripple strips are well simulated, not just a noise and a slight wiggle of the screen at high speed, it actually sounds like you've broken something, and wheel spin off the crests. I'd pretty much got the hang of the controller by the final few turns before the final long straight, and first and second place put up a valiant defence in the final turns but I managed to snatch second. I was impressed with it, not a replacement for GT6, but a worthy competitor for sure. The replay however :):):):)s all over Gt6. So smooth, like chocolate custard.

Jumped online with a few of the ROOZ guys, in the lotus senna F1 car. Holy crap could not keep it pointed straight. Could only use full throttle in 5th. That race was painful. I saw lag, not sure who it was, but it looked just like a bad lagger in GT6, elastic banding back and forth skidding tyres and smoke and all the rest of the drama. Then we switched to gt3 cars but the missus decided to upload a video to sookbook as I joined the track and I got DSC'd.

This game, for me anyway, requires a wheel. I can't properly comment on the physics (which seem good so far) without using a wheel. The controller doesn't give the feedback you need.

Been doing the shifter karts, finally finished them and won't be using them ever again. The tracks were too arcadey and I didn't like how the karts handled on the little circuits. Thinking about it though, I think it was the tracks I didn't like more than the karts. The only track that felt like a kart track was the final Ireland one. Oh well, done now lol.

A very impressive game, with lots of little locked menus that will obviously come as the game ages, either DLC or just as the game progresses. My stand out options are the configurations for the HUD, and how it can be moved around. Also that you can have cockpit view minus the wheel. I really like the cockpit view, it is actually very usable in this game.

8.5 out of 10.

Ps I may cop some flack comparing it to GT6, but for me that's all it's up against, as that's the only other sim racer I play.
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  8. WAC

WAC Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    i moved on..but damn it was fun!
    Well that's 2 people who say it won't replace GT6...
    I'm still on the fence?
  9. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Im not even going to bother buying it till I get a wheel for PS4, im defintely no controller player anymore lol.
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  10. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    Question for you gamepad players - did you select Pro or Ameteur mode when you started the game? Ameteur will make gamepad/keyboard play more enjoyable. Think of it like GT6-easy, not [insert kids game here] -easy.

Also worth a reminder that some prefer to switch to 'Mode 2' in the controller options (for gamepad). I think the modes cater for different user steering techniques - some like to tap, whereas some like to move the stick progressively.
  11. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    I don't think you can ever replace GT6...until GT7 comes along anyway.
    The best way I've seen it put (by myself haha) is that Gran Turismo is a game of car racing, whilst PCARS is a game of racing cars.

Having said that, I'm very impressed. The physics and handling are awesome, sounds are great so far (only driven two cars) and the visuals are great.
    The one thing that really sells this game for me is the experience. It really feels like you're a part of the action and driving for a team. The fan chat is great and you get an overwhelming sense of achievement when you grab pole or make a nice pass.
    I've never played a game that makes you feel so immersed in the racing culture which is exactly what PCARS is all about, so massive kudos for that.
    I haven't had a crack at online yet, but will do so over the weekend.

Pros:
    - Sounds
    - Visuals
    - Immersion/Experience

Cons:
    - AI is a bit too pushy and very kamikaze
    - Have seen a few visual anomalies (tearing and some white flashes...not photographers!!)

The small amount of cars is disappointing, but not as much as some people are making out. It's not meant to be like GT in that way so a more realistic view might be helpful for some :)

Overall, 8/10 so far :thumbsup:
    WAC likes this.
  12. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Amateur. Obviously would rather the wheel any day.
  13. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    It's still worth getting I reckon. It's on a par with GT6, but graphics and sound wise it rises above.
  14. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    I'm gonna download my first race and link it to here. A visual impression for you all.
    stucar17 likes this.
  15. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    I might share some footage onto Youtube or even a live broadcast maybe :)
    stucar17 likes this.
  16. vh_mik

vh_mik Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    vh_mik
    I selected pro, AI 100% and custom made the mode selectors. Got it so it doesn't over over steer all the time. Driving ANY caterham on the gamepad is impossible though. Just 360s from the start. Nothing I change fixes it.
  17. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
  18. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    That was one wild ride Ad haha
    Ad2mny likes this.
  19. Nathancarhead

Nathancarhead Team Driver

PSN ID
    nathancarhead
    well I've had the game for about 24 hours now, and i have fallen in love with it. this game is what i think we have all been asking for, the graphics are brilliant, the cars all handle really well and there is next to no lag online. whilst there isn't as many cars and tracks as GT6, for the game it is, it is amazing. As Leeboy said, this game is a game of racing, whereas GT is more about cars racing.
    the one thing i love the most out of anything is helmet cam, its exactly like you might imagine it would be, and in open wheelers its one of the most immersive things (i also like the semi cheaty thing that when the helmet cam moves towards the apex, that's the sign to start braking, its a cool little feature).
    this game easily sells on the basis that you live the life of a professional racer from the comfort of your own home, its fantastic.
    overall, this game is just fantastic, would recommend anyone to pick it up and play it. 9/10
  20. SamCham1095

SamCham1095 Rookie

I've really noticed how hard it is to drive the cars in PCARS. Haven't had much game time yet but its promising. Graphics are amazing and they make good use of the speakers on the PS4 controller.
    8.5/10