GT Academy 2016 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by skywalker, Jul 5, 2016.

1. skywalker

skywalker Professional

PSN ID
    S54VED
    Well in the past there has been several winners. Realistically you need 4 drivers for a 24 hour race, particularly being rookies. With the new format there was only going to be 2 winners for it (it wasn't on offer as a prize for the European winner), and when Joe pulled out there was only Matt. But testament to Matt's showing of talent and hard-work he got offered one of the best possible season drives without proving himself at an international race first.
  2. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
  3. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    Source: Nissan Aus Website - http://www.nissan.com.au/Discover/GT-Academy/Overview

Live Qualifying Event Dates:

For your chance to compete in the Australian Finals, the Nissan GT Academy live qualifying events will take place at the following locations:

Federation Square
    Melbourne, VIC
    14 August 2016

Sydney Motorsport Park SuperSprint
    Supercars Event
    Sydney, NSW
    26-28 August 2016

Warner Bros. Movie World
    Gold Coast, QLD
    7-9 September 2016

Theme Park entry fees apply

Live Events

A total of 20 competitors will gain entry to the GT Academy Australian Finals from the live qualifying events.

Australian Finals

The Australian Finals will be held at Warner Brother Movie World on the Gold Coast from September 10th -11th. The Australian Finals will test a combination of Gran Turismo Sport play, driving in Nissan sports cars, fitness and media skills. The national competition will then give six lucky winners the opportunity to travel to the famous Silverstone circuit in the UK to compete for Australia at the GT Academy International Race Camp.

Race Camp

From the Australian Finals, the action moves onto the legendary Race Camp in Silverstone UK, where the competitors are put through their paces on track in Nissan sports cars under the watchful eyes of high profile judges and mentors. The winner from Race Camp will be invited to take part in the intensive Nissan Driver Development Program (NDDP), where they could qualify for an international race licence and race for Nissan professionally as an elite NISMO Athlete - following in the footsteps of the 2015 GT Academy International winner, Australian Matt Simmons.
  4. REVO_Bryan

REVO_Bryan Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    SR_BryanF
    Anyone heading to Fed Square? I'll be there for sure. :)
    cola1001 and skywalker like this.
  5. zuluwoffle

zuluwoffle Team Driver

PSN ID
    zuluwoffle
    Why did it have to be at the V8 Supercar round. No way I can get down there for it :( Oh well as if I had a chance anyway.
    Interesting as well that it's only the eastern states that are getting a look in. Bad luck also if you were in SA, WA, NT or TAS.
  6. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

well last year apart from 1 they were all from these states actually only 1 came from melbourne
    zuluwoffle likes this.
  7. Beau_Albert

Beau_Albert World Champion

PSN ID
    iRacing: Beau Albert
    I'm a big maybe at the moment.... i'm ineligible but getting experience on how it works and the pressure at the live events would be great rehearsal so i'm definitely considering it
    Sam D Blacklock likes this.
  8. Benjamin J Smith

There is no pressure at the live events. You rock up do some practice kaps with all aids on, if you go quick enough they ask you too jump on another rig with nothing but ABS... they you can keep going back as much as you want to improve your time
    Sam D Blacklock and JonoStan96 like this.
  9. Beau_Albert

Beau_Albert World Champion

PSN ID
    iRacing: Beau Albert
    Oh ok cool, I kind of assumed with the mass numbers it was more of a 5 lap go big or go home style thing, if theres a separate few for the quicker guys that's a lot better. Cheers Ben
    Sam D Blacklock likes this.
  10. SPL Racing

SPL Racing Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    SPL_Racing
    You should go and show them what you can do, you'll definitely be on their radar for next year cause you will flog anyone else that turns up
  11. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    "OMG! is that Kimi Raikkonen?"
    Beau_Albert likes this.
  12. skywalker

skywalker Professional

PSN ID
    S54VED
    Yes and no. They change the rules every year.

Aside from Ian, in 2014 you had 10 laps or 2 x 5 laps to set the fastest time (was on Silverstone International).

2015 live events were only at Movie World, and yes you could have multiple goes. I had 3 x 3 laps and Sir Poop had 2 x 3 laps, which we were the 2 fastest on our day (was at Nurb GP). They changed the combo each day (I had 1 go a couple of days later on a different combo and set the fastest time for that day at the time too). That said, I think the same guys kept going back each day to get through, and they did have a lot more attempts.

I think if you are an active racer here on rooz, you are already competing against the top racers in the country week in week out. So you really do have a good chance.

For me, 2014 was much more pressure, but only because I'd only just started playing GT6 for 8-10 weeks. Although, 3 laps on something you aren't familiar with can be tough also. I dont have a G27, and to me it feels like a toy, and the positioning of the rig is weird too (especially in 2014!).

If you are serious about GT Academy now or in the future, I'd highly recommend going and checking it out. But take what they do this year as a gain of salt. I'd say enjoy the competition for what it is, and enjoy the exposure to things you'd not normally get a chance to do. That said considering the life changing consequences of the competition, its quite poorly run.
  13. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    Im hoping you can have multiple turns, I tend to need to grind out some lap time a bit, especially on a track im unfamiliar with.
  14. MetalGear9493

MetalGear9493 Team Driver

PSN ID
    MetalGear9493
    I'm not sure If I'm eligible or not but regardless I look forward to attending Fed square, hope to see fellow rooz's there!
  15. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    This just makes me mad that I didn't have my L's hours all done by August 2013, I'd be eligible this year if that was the case :mad:
    Crunch likes this.
  16. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    Well what do you know. I'll be on the Goldy on those dates. Might just have a crack. Not quick enough to get through, but would be fun never the less. And to catch up with any other Roozers that may turn up.
    skywalker and SPL Racing like this.
  17. SPL Racing

SPL Racing Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    SPL_Racing
    If you get a car track combo that you are familiar with there is no reason why you couldn't make it to finals day at least, don't let your pcars results deter you, you are bloody quick in GT. Well worth a crack!
    skywalker and t_b_williams like this.
  18. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    Based on the competitions underway in the Philippines and Mexico the combo is likely to be the GTR 2017 at the new Tokyo Expressway track for everyone - so nobody is going to have a track knowledge advantage
  19. Benjamin J Smith

if you can get yourself into Movieworld have a crack... you never know, a 39 yeay old tradie had a go last year was 5 secs off my time in game and got through, had the time of his life ripping around in the 370Z.
  20. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    does anyone know what wheel/pedals are used in the pods at the live events?

Im going to assume the pedals are standard? i.e. with no brake mods (gteye spring, TM conical brake mod etc)