GT6 GT Academy - Live events

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by Stumbles, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Wanted to start a thread about the Live events being held around Australia at various venues (details to follow soon).

The first of these Live Events kicked off in Adelaide on the 1st March at the Clipsal 500.
    Gary and myself attended and had a "crack". We also spoke to the Sony rep and informed him about our "home of racing" ROOZ, seemed pretty excited and is going to pass on the info to head office in Sydney when he gets back there.

Ok, the event itself...
    They had six Hyperdrive sim-rigs set up running a 2 lap arcade race around Bathurst in the GT-R Nismo GT3 Schulze Motorsport '13 (courtesy car), 6 car rolling start. They only ran qualification for the GT Academy on race days (Saturday and Sunday), which is why our lap times on Friday were not recorded. Got there on Sunday and was told.. "you need to do a lap under 2:20.xxx to qualify for the Qualification slot at Silverstone International Circuit". Easy to do, can get past the other 5 cars on track by halfway around leaving a nice clear track for your second Hot-Lap. (Think I did a 2:14 on the first lap... good enough to qualify with that...lol).
    Set-up for Bathurst was.. Auto trans, driving line on, (not sure but guessing TC was on too). The rigs have little to no force-feedback so was a bit strange driving, but not too bad.

Six Hyperdrive units like this...

[​IMG]
    Me trying my hand at Bathurst..
    [​IMG]

Gary at Bathurst...
    [​IMG]

Onto Silverstone. You get 5 laps around Silverstone International circuit in Time Trial mode. (Don't get distracted by the pretty girls watching you, they're there to get you off after 5 laps...lol). Car used (and I hope to confirm this) is the Black Mask '07 (will need to be purchased for any practice you want to do at home.. $350,000). Track settings... Manual Trans, Race Soft tyres, Driving line on, Traction control on 1, ABS on 1, all other aids off.
    Don't do what I did and change view straight away (do it on the front straight), I ran off the track at the chicane as I wasn't watching where I was going. Luckily, I didn't invalidate my next lap but you can, so be careful... Only validated laps will be recorded.
    I ended up doing a 1:06.5 (was second fastest for the day), but someone recorded a 1:04.7 on Saturday.

T's and C's have been uploaded, click on the link to get them..
    GT Academy 2014 Territory Finals Comp - Specific Rules.pdf

Get practicing guys, I'm sure theres a few that can push it to the limit.
    Stay tuned, more news to come
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  2. Tgti

Tgti New Recruit

PSN ID
    farbs33
    Thanks for the write up, sounds like it a blast!
    And congrats on the lap times!
  3. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    So do we know which races they will be running this? I assume it's only at V8 events, but are they at every event?

PS Well done on the lap times. And where's your Volvo shirts??
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  4. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    I just had a go at home with the controller and got a 1:05.8, so now that you guys know, should be easy to get a great time.

The Live events run over about the next 6 months I think. And Nismo Australia said the PS3 online event starts in about 1 months time.
    DekGT5mad, smokinscotty and Anon666 like this.
  5. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    It's the exact same setup used at the EB Games expo.

Negative FFB on those wheels.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  6. WAC

WAC Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    i moved on..but damn it was fun!
    Good one Dave and Gary - always good getting a face to a name! :)
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  7. smokinscotty

smokinscotty Rookie

PSN ID
    smokinscotty
    Im sure if I can limp through the Sim section I will be able to ace the real driving component compared to sim only type racers... Driving by the feeling in your arse is a whole new ball game... and that's where I thrive. The big arse helps... lots of feel lol.

Just the physical fitness test scares me at this stage. Going to get training!

Is it one crack per person? Or can you keep lining up and working your way up? Keen to see the regs.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  8. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Not sure on multiple attempts. They only held a couple of qualifying sessions each day (10am and 2pm). I'd have to check the T's and C's to find out for sure.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  9. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    Great write up, it looks like it was a pretty decent setup.

Can't wait for April now :)
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  10. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Are you going to give the live event a shot warrior?? I'll see if I can find the schedule of events.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  11. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    There's a schedule??
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  12. smokinscotty

smokinscotty Rookie

PSN ID
    smokinscotty
    I've been looking for that too!
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  13. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    Yeah I would go, but I wouln't go for it if there were other rooz members attending. I've been checking the nismo australia page and I don't think they have released a schedule yet. I assume they will be at the Top Gear festival this weekend in Sydney
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  14. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    Mate TBH you are the best chance of having a Rooz member in the top 28 so I think you should take any opportunity that you have available no matter who is at the event !
    DekGT5mad, Mustafur and smokinscotty like this.
  15. zampli

zampli Team Driver

This is potential chance of a lifetime and youe right up there, go for it warrior!
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  16. smokinscotty

smokinscotty Rookie

PSN ID
    smokinscotty
    I'm with stig, if your able to commit to the challenge, you have got to go for it. 100%
    I'm sure any member would still be immensely proud if they come second to you!

I know I'd rather be an international racing driver than a parts interpreter!
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  17. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Stumbles has done a great job summing things up. About the only thing I would add is that TC was definitely on at least 5 for Bathurst, possibly 10, and SRF was forced on.

My only tip for bathurst would be to push your way through the other cars as quickly as possible to give yourself as much time as possible to get used to the 'pod' setup (no FFB etc). I don't see this as critical though, as I would think any member racing here will easily beat the 2.20 time.

I will add though that there were only 13 Finalists on the Saturday, and they told me that we would need a time of 2.15 or better to qualify. Maybe they increased that to 2.20 on the Sunday to get more people for the final (I think there was 18 in Sunday afternoons final). Didn't matter for Stumbles though, as he had a 2.11 flat.

The only tip I have for Silverstone is to definitely not cut the last chicane or following corner, or your current lap and next lap will both be invalidated (giving you 40% less chance of achieving your fastest lap).

I have scanned the full terms and conditions and will forward to one of the cleverer mod types to post on here as they deem fit. There is no event schedule in there unfortunately.

I would encourage members to get to a live event if possible, as there would be a much better chance of making the final via that than the online qualification. There will be 14 finalists from the online qualification, and 14 from live events.

Warrior, please mate, Guys like you and Mustafur are part of the reason we are getting all this info together. We need you flying the Raceonoz flag at the final!
  18. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    I will echo the posts above... Warrior, we would all be proud if, no WHEN you make the final. I really urge you to get to a live event and go hard mate. We want to see an Aussie in the international final and I think you are our best shot. And that's not putting anyone else down, well, I hope not, and if it is, I'm sorry.

I think everyone who has the opportunity to get to one, have a go.
    DekGT5mad and garyw61 like this.
  19. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    How many laps do they give you to do a lap?
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  20. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    at the end of the day your doing this for.you, so you gotta take the oppurtunity no matter how easy or hard lol.
    DekGT5mad and garyw61 like this.