Project Car/ Shift 3 Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'PCLOZ Past Seasons' started by seth123, Jan 26, 2016.

1. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Nostradamus !
  2. Nathancarhead

Nathancarhead Team Driver

PSN ID
    nathancarhead
    I'm very lost on where to start for this wet round. Anyone have any suggestions on a tune? Is it worth sticking with the base tune and slightly modifying tyre pressures to suit the wet race?
    seth123 likes this.
  3. seth123

seth123 Professional

PSN ID
    S1E2E3TH
    Nathan if no one here can lend you a hand in time try a Google search to see what helps wet race settings :)
  4. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    i can help you tonihht if you want mate......if you start with a base setting i have just softened the settings and made small tweaks......ran a few laps last night and the car wasnt particularly fast, but was pretty stable
  5. zuluwoffle

zuluwoffle Team Driver

PSN ID
    zuluwoffle
    Stu I might join you to get some pointers. Just was having a crack and either I can't tune for wet or I can't drive in the wet. I think the best I was getting was a 1:39 but it was just terrible :eek: what time will you be on roughly?
  6. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    always after 9 sydney time......just want to test again before confirming the wet regs for the round......did a bit last night but ran out of time....

On light rain i ran a 36:7, blindman did a high 35, didnt get a chance to run in "rain" as was getting too late so will do that tonight......
    George and zuluwoffle like this.
  7. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    I haven't got a setup for this track yet. What I will be doing first up is using a base setup, like Watkins Glen or Donington and first dropping the tyre pressures down to accommodate for the cooler track. I still try to get the tyres to hit 100 degrees or close to it. Pump up the down force and only soften the car up little by little after adjusting tyre and aero. Too much one way and it'll feel terrible and you'll feel lost :(
    zuluwoffle likes this.
  8. Kart-No-1

Kart-No-1 Professional

PSN ID
    Kart-No-1
    Good luck dropping the pressures. Even in the wet I was hitting 123 degrees, this track is a killer on tyres.
  9. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Might have to try a diff time / date setting to get a cooler track temp. Was still at 40*
  10. COME_AND_GET_ME7

COME_AND_GET_ME7 Professional

January will give the lowest ambient temperature. So make it Jan 10. Will test now to get numbers. You can also change it from midday to dawn or dusk if you wanted to further reduce temperatures.
  11. COME_AND_GET_ME7

January 10th track temperatures:
    7am - 24°c
    12pm - 37°c
    5pm - 28°c
    6pm - 24°c
  12. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Just jumped on and did some laps. While the high track temp doesn't help the high tyre temps are more as a result of the track not being wet enough to run wets under light rain conditions.
    beakeroo likes this.
  13. freddyp_33

freddyp_33 Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    freddyp_33
    Might just be the way you drive @Kart-No-1 !!
  14. webnomad

webnomad Team Driver

PSN ID
    webnomad
    this track ... hmmmm ...not liking it at all ...hard to get into a groove.... i was hitting 1.40 on full rain last night - LSD settings help ... brake balancing.. sway bars tuning...and TC I noted that gearing still needs to be middle of road...if too long the acceleration slow down really hits the lap times...... but it was like a ice skating after 15 laps... and AI drivers looked rigged to me ...
  15. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    It's a nightmare so far lol. Feels like you may as well go and change your tyres once they get hot. The track temp is crazy high.
  16. Beau_Albert

Beau_Albert World Champion

PSN ID
    iRacing: Beau Albert
    Anyone for a Night race....... o_O
    @stucar17 thoughts? Would be an epic prospect

Edit: As Seth Said, i forgot Dubai has the lighting capabilities of a Squirrel.... Dawn race??
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Sam D Blacklock, seth123 and beakeroo like this.
  17. seth123

seth123 Professional

PSN ID
    S1E2E3TH
    I recall trying the wet in night there sections of the track aren't lit but

#CloseYourEyesAndHopeForTheBest
    JonoStan96 and stucar17 like this.
  18. Spidey_11

PSN ID
    Sounding like an interesting round! same for everyone so it'll be nice to see and hear different approaches to it.
  19. Spidey_11

PSN ID
    Some info for Dubai.
    I was first using Noxrai's setup below. The Acceleration lock was 25% I think.
    http://lapofthemap.weebly.com/uploads/5/8/9/7/58978085/noxrais_setup.jpg
    http://lapofthemap.weebly.com/uploads/5/8/9/7/58978085/noxrais_2nd_page.jpg

Then on Wednesday night Stu helped me out and provided, for my opinion, a more stable setup for a wet track. I'm still using different steering angle and camber values to Stu but it's whatever you like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Below is an indication for tyre wear from a full race session of 30 laps and the times.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Spidey_11

PSN ID
    For me the race was split into three stages, first 10 laps of "rain" where either your tyre temps are just perfect, second is lap 10 to 20 for the "storm" where track and air temp drop and this will make your tyre temps drop also. You could plug along and when the third stage comes for lap 21 to 30 for the "rain" your tyre temps will go back up to the start of the race. The third stage is where all those fastest laps came from also.
    No need to pit for tyres - unless your wear rate is really really really bad.
    Trick this week is to get some track time and see where the most slippery bits are and try different approaches to avoid a spin.