Network Lag Network Issue Help/Solutions

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, May 31, 2012.

1. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    This is a very interesting post and probably a setting that most people wouldn't expect to have an impact on race quality. The fixed/unfixed only suggests who controls the settings within the room.
    What setting do the div hosts use for room ownership?
    Has anyone done any testing between the two options?
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  2. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    I normally use the UNFIXED, in case I do drop out (only ever happened twice from memory) then racing can continue.
    Using FIXED, if the host drops out, everybody drops out of the race.

Worth a try though.
  3. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Just for some guidelines, I have a pretty decent connection, my modem stats are...

SNR Margin ( dB):.. Down 8.5 ..Up 11.5
    Attenuation ( dB): ..Down 28.0 ..UP 13.4
    Attainable Rate (Kbps): ..Down12104 ..Up1188

Not great, but stable most of the time.
    My current connection (haven't reset it since Sunday afternoon...
    Rate (Kbps) ..Downstream - 10473 .. Upstream - 1020
    I live about 2.6 Kms cable distance from the exchange
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    DekGT5mad and DoogleDave like this.
  4. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    0.1 dB for SNR and attenuation, are you sure?
    I always thought you want as high a SNR as possible (in the 20's is great) and as low a line attenuation as you can get.....0.1 doesn't make sense (to me) :)

Also, good call on the room fixing. I have noticed that whenever I set mine to fixed and turn chat on to standard or high it instantly drops the room level to low (obviously my 4 Mbps can't handle standard or better on both), but a great point about fixed room if the host drops out...certainly don't want the whole division to drop out. Should be ran as unfixed IMO.

Dave
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  5. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Argh, forum doesn't like spaces... hold on, I'll fix it.
  6. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    That looks better LOL :)
    Wanna swap???
  7. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    From what I've gleaned from conversations on Whirlpool over the years...
    SNR - 6 is the best possible connection, below 6 and you get instability, not sure about higher SNR ratios though??
    Attenuation, the lower your Attenuation, the closer to your exchange you are, so the lower, the better.

Doogle, I deleted the (0.1 dB) from my post, that was just telling you that the measurements were in that form, I've altered it now :) and, you already answered...lol.. And NO, I don't wanna swap, quite happy with my current situation...lol
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    DoogleDave likes this.
  8. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    That sounds about right to me Stumbles.
    Although my SNR is 4 and Attenuation around 53-55 and my connection is actually quite stable (albeit alot slower than others closer to the exchange). I've played around with the various modulation types you can set and (for me) the ADSL2 (not ADSL2+) mod type seems to give me the best and most stable connection at a slightly slower download speed, but that's the trade-off for stability.

Even with my atrocious figures I rarely have a line dropout and can get away with resetting my modem/router once every few months (though now running GT6 online races I'll probably do it before each ROOZ seasonal event - along with clearing the GT6 cache).

It's a shame houses about 700m up the road from us have access to NBN (newer part of our estate) yet we are still waiting for it (and imagine we'll be waiting for quite some time). So for now, what I have I just have to live with... :-(

Dave
  9. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    I'm not so sure I agree with that.
    Mind you, reading exactly what those explanations say I don't understand how it can say using Unfixed will give a better race. With unfixed your connection has to send the data to all other people in the room; surely that is more taxing than a Fixed connection where data is sent to the host only.
    We do have some people running fibre connections around here; I am one of them, I get 30Mbps with Telstra.
    I think it would be worthwhile figuring out who in each division has the best connection, and get them to host with Fixed ownership. Just to see how it goes.
    In the seemingly unlikely event that the host drops out (Stumbles says its only ever happened twice, I don't recall ever having dropped out since i've been on fibre) maybe we could re-run during the week, or the following week?
    Stumbles likes this.
  10. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Certainly Flood, I really don't mind. I can still check all the settings, you're more than welcome to give it a go. Anything for a more stable connection.
    With cable and Fixed room, should be the best combination out there.
  11. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    I think Gary runs cable too, so we have 2 high bandwidth hosts available in div 3 :)
  12. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    Well the logic makes sense in my head, but contradicts what Cob's post says, so I'm not sure.
    I don't want to get blamed for any problems or confusion with the season races and your connection seemed to go alright on Sunday so I would rather we just stick with the plan at this late stage and keep you as host.
    If we run in to trouble then yeah maybe we could look at other options.

Maybe Gary or I could look at hosting a test session for Div 3 and see if there is any improvement; but for the most part there weren't any problems in your room anyway.
  13. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Hmmm...an interesting topic.
    http://www.gran-turismo.com/nz/gt6/manual/#!/onlinerace/owner
    If I read this correctly:
    Fixed Room
    Pros:
    - connection only needs to be established between room host and each player
    - races are less likely to be affected by an individuals network issues
    Cons:
    - requires host to have a high bandwidth
    - if host drops out the race is suspended (not sure what suspended means). If the host returns can the race continue where it left off or does it start again from scratch?

Unfixed Room
    Pros:
    - usually has better ping/latency between players (resulting in less lag), suitable for high-quality races
    - doesn't specifically require the host to have a high bandwidth
    - if host drops out the race continues and another player will become the host

Cons:
    - each player connects to all other players
    - any incompatibilities between individual players network environments or equipment will cause errors during the race
    - players with NAT3 type connections wont be able to play in unfixed rooms (bandwidth will be too low)

So, perhaps it should depend on each room and whether there are any incompatibilities between individual players in that division/room.
    If there are individual incompatibilities, then fixed sounds like the best option, but if there are no obvious specific incompatibilities then unfixed might be a safer (racing) option, which should result in higher-quality (less laggy) races without the possibility of the race stopping for the entire division should the host go off-line. Admittedly, hosts with cable connections make the most sense to be the room owner but IMO this doesn't necessarily make a fixed room better.

What would happen if said cable-driven host running a fixed room suffered a power outage and as a result went offline? Race over for everyone in the division/room if running on Fixed setup.

Something to think about...I don't mind which we use but it would be annoying having the whole race end part-way through because the host dropped out.
    Pity we can't have our cake and eat it too :)
    Dave
  14. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Bloody Kaz & PD, why can't they get it right after all this time...lol

As I work Afternoon shift, I cant be there to help test, but if you are on during the week Flood, and if some of the Div 3 guys can jump on, specifically Ad and Hosie (I saw some minor lag from them) and a tiny bit from Bernsy too, see how it goes with Cable and fixed host??
  15. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    On GT5 fixed seemed to be the most stable,but with GT6 it seems to be the opposite for some reason.Last sunday i ran the div 4 room unfixed & we had no issues really except for DoogleDave having a PS3 freeze & a small amount of lag from turbo.Dave's probs seemed to be heat related as he had moved it into a computer case next to his subwoofer,which also could have caused issues for him.Speaker magnets,especially Sub ones,can really cause some really weird :):):):)!
    If the room is fixed &the host drops out,that's it,Race Over,All dsc'd!So at the moment i'd say unfixed is the go.It's not really our PS3 that has to send the signal to all parties,only to the lobby server,then it takes over relaying the signal to all parties & back,so logic would suggest that the best host would be the person closest to the lobby servers,so maybe if we find out where in Oz they are it may help. On the ppl with NAT 3 front,to be honest,they will always have issues no matter what we do,so unfortunately they may have to get their internet sorted so it is NAT 2. I'm not trying to exclude anyone,but there is only so much the host & others can do & as such really it has to be up to the individual to work their system out so they don't have compatibility issues.
    With people only having trouble with GT6,but all good for COD,battlefield etc,they need to understand that racing requires a hell of a lot more info to go back & forwards than shooters etc,and that's why they only have problems racing:(:(
    Hope all can work out their problems:)
  16. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Stu if you have read to here, just have a bex and lie down mate.
    [​IMG]
    DekGT5mad, t_b_williams and Ad2mny like this.
  17. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    What is 'Kaz'?
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  18. Darko

Darko Professional

PSN ID
    xxDARKOxx

GT Series Creator Kazunori Yamauchi
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  19. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Oh duh. I thought it was some code or something, like in my router, for GT6
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  20. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Aren't all the PSN servers we access here in Aus based in Europe (hence the Aus/Europe region selection in the main lobby)?
    If they are then perhaps this is why some people are experiencing lag during online races with 12+ players in the room.

Also, how many members here are running a NAT 3 connection?
    That might be helpful to know...

Dave
    DekGT5mad likes this.