Network Lag Network Issue Help/Solutions

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, May 31, 2012.

1. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Also if you didn't see this in my earlier post,go here & read this, http://compnetworking.about.com/od/hardwarenetworkgear/l/aa121700b.htm
    Good laymans terms explanation of DMZ & DHCP
  2. Hosie09

Hosie09 Stevie

That electrical adapters you can get. That run through your power. Are they always going to work. I've put mine on but it's not finding IP address
  3. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    sounds like there is a switch at one off the ends turned off or their is another powerpoint on the same line that has to be on to complete the circuit
  4. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    I'm beginning to wonder if maybe my lag is actually a fault with the ps3. When were they released, cause I've had mine since a couple of weeks after release and it has been used pretty much every day and even left going overnight sometimes for gt5 b spec enduros. Could I be on to something maybe?
  5. Hosie09

Hosie09 Stevie

Good to go. Got myself a wired connection now. No more lag. Woo hoo
    stucar17 and Ad2mny like this.
  6. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    I've managed to pull a few strings and I should be able to get a long wire by next Sunday. I tried connecting the old, stronger router to the Telstra modem/router, it worked with the iPhone but DID NOT with the PS3.

Unfortunately this means that I'll still have a garbage connection for the 240RS event and Round 3 of Season 1, but fingers crossed by Round 4 I'll have a good connection once again.
  7. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Do you mean one of the 20,40,or 60GB models? If it is one of those,it could be the issue as the chipset in them was garbage,basically not much better than the PS2 performance wise. Easiest way to check is get a friend to hook his later model PS3 up & see how it goes,or you could get a refurbished one from EB games for a couple of hundred.I'd recommend you have a look in a few pawnbrokers as well,they're selling them cheap as cause people know you can get a brand new 12GB for a couple of hundred,and PS4 is out.Most have got a few for about $130-140:)
  8. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Yeah 32gb fatboy. Might go have a chat to EB see what deal they can do for a trade. My ps4 should be here any day now so won't wanna spend much over $100.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  9. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    I think EB do 120,160,& 320GB's for under $180,you'd only be up for $140 or less after your trade-in,less if you took in your old games too!
    Ad2mny likes this.
  10. Darko

Darko Professional

PSN ID
    xxDARKOxx
    120GB PlayStation 3 (preowned) $218.00 & EB
    160GB PlayStation 3 (preowned) $188.00 & EB
    Brand new 500GB $399 & EB
    Brand new 500GB $369 & JB
    Are they dreaming
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    Ad2mny likes this.
  11. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

Yeh, I'd be going the pre-owned. PS3 has limited life remaining.

Regardless, I don't think they a have changed wifi or Ethernet chips (only ever removed the legacy PS2 chip) so it won't be based on the model you have unless you had one of those models. I have had 2 fats & 1 slim and still had effectively the same latency. $400 for approx 12 months is not a reasonable prospect so go 2nd hand, as long as it isn't re-flowed ;)

GT7 is likely out late this year or early next year on PS4 (my guesstimate) so yeah...
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  12. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Well everything else is brand new (Router, 15m ethernet cable, splitter, phone cable to router) so that's my only other option for hopefully getting some joy back from my connection.
  13. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

Do you have a friend with a PS3? If so, borrow it and do a speed test. No point paying for a console to only have the same outcome.

My guess is it is you are on ADSL and need to use a splitter so the most likely outcome is it is your copper line cannot handle the bandwidth required in GT7 (being as you had no issues in previous series where you did well). Chances of it being the PS3 are slim (pardon the pun).
  14. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    See that's the thing, it started ok and has slowly gotten worse, even though everything has now been replaced. It wasn't just gt6, towards the end of gt5 I was getting DSC'd. At the start I could host!! Don't say it's my copper lines cause damned if I can afford to get them in to check that lol!!!
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  15. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    Have you done a speed test on your PC and compared that to your speed test on ps3 ?
  16. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Have you spoken to Telstra? Yesterday i had a period of 10 dsc's from i-racing practice rooms,and after resettingmy router,etc,i called Internode and they did a few things,including changing my connection port at the exchange,which solved the issue immediately! If you haven't i'd do that next,before spending any more money!
    EB's must have different pricing for individual stores,as my mate got a pre-owned120GB last week for $185 without any trade in,at the Nowra store!
  17. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    I find they never match up as the individual servers are in different locations.I get 5Mbps down & 800Kbps up on PS3,but 7Mbps down & 880up on my PC.The biggest thing with lag is latency(ping),not Mbps amounts.You only need about 2 down & 500 up,but if your ping is more than 60-70m/s you will suffer lag. DSC's are caused more by stability problems than speed problems.When i used a MBB setup at my previous address i had 10Mbps down & 4.8Mbps up,but had DSC's galore cause of high ping and bandshift,until i setup an external aerial on my roof gave me full time 5 bar reception on the primary band,and dropped my ping to 32m/s!
  18. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    GT7????????????????????? :p:D:D:D
  19. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    DON'T mention the DSC issues as your reason,say HDD size.You'll get good money for it as they are sought after due to the backwards compatibility with PS2 games,maybe even see what you get for it on E-Bay first! It'd be more i bet
  20. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    You hit the nail right on the head Dek....ping is the big killer.
    Mine usually sits around mid to high 30's and I don't usually have too many issues (even though my net is only 4Mbps).
    Some of the issue may be at our end with our phone lines/modems & setup etc. but it will also have to do with how many server hops the data has to travel through to get to the PSN servers (and then back again)....it won't be from our house direct to the PSN server (as some might think)....it could be passing through several severs on the way there and back, all which add latency/delay.

Some interesting reading here:
    http://www.softblogger.net/improve-ping-in-games/

My friend (who works for Telstra), just had Cable Extreme installed at his house. 113Mbps download speed with 7 (yes 7) ms ping.

I asked him to swap and he said no. I wonder why...LOL :)