Network Lag Network Issue Help/Solutions

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, May 31, 2012.

1. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    Japanese server remember. Brisbane was just over 40ms
  2. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Yeah, I'll do one on the PS3 soon
  3. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    3.5 to 4 Mbps down
    0.6 to 0.8 Mbps up
    ADSL2+
    Ping is in the 30's usually.
    Line attenuation is usually around 55
    SNR is around 4 to 6
    Approx 4.5 to 5km from the exchange
    I also have my PS3 wirelessly connected to my network/internet.
    Unless everyone is keeping quiet about it, no-one has told me I lag when in the online rooms (Econobox Cup and Sunday League + practice during the week)....and surely there can't be too many others here with worse figures than these....(I hope).

Personally, I think my ping saves me from a world of heart-ache.
  4. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    Mmmmm not what I was expecting now the numbers I'm getting are not all that unreasonable for ADSL.
    What I did this time around was used a wired setup and changed the DNS servers to the couple that gave me best response (DNS Benchmark app).
    Do miss the speed of fibre and there is no NBN in this area yet.
  5. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    I hope the picture isn't at a weird, convoluted angle, you never know with the iPhone's inner camera lol image.jpg
  6. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    You do actually have a little bit of jitter when a few cars are around you at the start of races,especially when you're near DRZ,who's car goes a bit nuts when he overtakes you,but then clears up out the otherside.
    Both OOkla and Speedtest.net are not accurate as they have the intention of selling you a speed up your computer programme of some sort,or registry updater.The best test site is www.youcompare.com.au They are a comparison site and as such have no vested interest in any particular product,they get paid per view/click of links,not succesful sales. Hey Serge,Try it out straight after the speedtest one & you'll see what i mean when you compare results! It only gives Ping,Down & Upload though,not all that other stuff like line attuation & SNR (WTF do they mean anyway?o_O) but really ping is the most important factor regarding lag as it's the reading of the time it takes the signal from you to the Main Australian server which i beleive for the PSN is in Sydney,so if you use a speedtest site that can change the destination server,make sure you set it to Sydney,then you'll have a reasonably accurate idea of your ping on PS3(why they don't include it i don't know)o_Oo_O You can have 10'000Kbps Down & 5800Kbps Up using an extreme dongle from Vodafone on their new(ish) 850Mhz network,but still have lag as the ping varies from 22ms(excellent) to 350+ms(Lag City) from test to test,depending on network congestion. When i had no choice but to use MBB,i didn't even bother trying to race between 2pm & 9pm on weeknights and 6am to 9pm weekends except for seasonal events as it was always an exercise in futility. It seemed to coincide with the end of the school/workday,so i put it down to all the kids on facebook,twitter & youtube as soon as they finished school,& workers finishing work & doing similar on the train,etc while heading home,and the amount of people using MBB for their laptops,etc on weekends!LOL:p:D
  7. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    FYI Dek, line attenuation and SNR (signal to noise ratio) can be found in your router settings (not from an online speed test). Basically the closer you are to your exchange and the better the condition of the phone lines between exchange and the house, the better your attenuation and SNR figures will be. Mine are attrocious, yet it sounds like I'm only giving off minor lag compared to others and only when in close proximity to others that also experience lagissues, so as you have mentioned ping/latency is the killer for online gaming - not necessarily fast or slow internet speeds.

I still think alot has to do with the PSN servers, particularly when so many people say they rarely (if ever) have any issues with other online PS3 games. Certainly makes you think what is going on.....
  8. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    image.jpg I hope this is the right way up. I got the 15m ethernet cable plugged in.
  9. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    It seems that the download speed has increased, but upload is still dreadful. Sigh.
  10. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Looks fine Jono. 600 is plenty.
  11. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    If the lag is gone it'll be worth it...
  12. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    We'll have our moment of truth in the race...
    S_CLOSE likes this.
  13. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    Are you bypassing the router n64 or plugged into a router connecting to a modem?
  14. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    It's a router and modem in one, linked with a 15m ethernet cable to the PS3.
  15. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    Ok what
    Whats your ping on speedtest mate?
  16. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    And what DNS you have setup in your PS3?
  17. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    35ms
  18. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

I don't know if this is the same with you, but at my missus parents place, there internet has this issue where there internet will pulse droping the upload and download rate from anywhere up to 10mbps to .1 mbps. They can't find the problem but have been assured by telstra that the problem will disappear when the NBN shows up in there house in 2 years time
  19. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    I haven't heard about that, but I'm with Failstra as well, so I wouldn't be surprised.
    Tb is with Failstra as well, and we both suffer from similar issues, I think you may be onto something...
  20. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    ummm, aren't we all on Telstra?
    We might all pay different ISP's for our connection to the internet but isn't it all Telstra infrastructure (exchange, lines etc)?
    If so, then we're all technically on Telstra, we just pay different companies who lease ports in the Telstra exchanges.

And I'm betting you'd know if your line was pulsing that badly because your internet experience would show it (streaming video, downloads etc). Not to say it's not happening to some people, but I'm not sure how wide spread that issue is.

I still think the PSN/GT6 servers are a big factor in all these issues.....not to mention any number of possible bugs in the GT6 game itself :-(
    stucar17 likes this.