Network Lag Network Issue Help/Solutions

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, May 31, 2012.

1. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn

Have you posted your full setup n64? I.e modem setup and connection to router from the ps3 all hardwired?
    Line Attenuation? Noise etc?
  2. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Stig, I know I was talking about this last night, but someone might be able to confirm or shoot me down.

I think you should try a 4G dongle rather than using the slow line line. You just need to find out which carrier has the strongest 4G connection where you are and then but the dongle and download. That way you won't need to worry about anyone else using the network either as you can make it PS specific.

It has to be faster than your landline !
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  3. smokinscotty

smokinscotty Rookie

PSN ID
    smokinscotty
    I think your right Dave. I have been gaming on my current connection for 12 months, both PC for FPS/Iracing and GTA5 on PS3. Never had an issue with lag or connection instability.
    I did have connection issues playing Planetside 2 online(PC), but that is a monstrous game with online battles with hundreds of people in a server(or room in GT lingo) at a time, most of which running teamspeak simultaneously.

Getting lag spikes and frame rate drops on what is effectively smaller and less complex game just leaves me shaking my head in disappointment.

Problems have got to be stemming from PD/PSN
  4. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    It seems that my switching back to my old, slower modem ( telstra gave me the new one saying it would be better and faster) has fixed my issues. No lag in the AGTCC race last night according to Musta, and others who had a good look before the race started.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  5. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    Ive got a spare Billion router that was always very reliable for me if anyone wants to see if ot helps them.

Billion is the best brand on the market IMO.
    stucar17 and Anon666 like this.
  6. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Of the people who seem to suffer the most from lag and connection issues, I wonder if there are any similarities between them all that could point to the cause?

For instance:
    - fat or slim PS3?
    - old or new PSN account
    - running off disc or downloaded GT6 game?
    Etc etc....

As above, I still think that (for most people) the issue is PD/PSN related and NOT necessarily modem/line related.

A very frustrating issue I hope gets resolved very soon.....
  7. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    I think it's more to do with how their data is being routed back to PD servers than anything else.
    If that was the case, there's not much we can do about it.

If it was anything to do with the above listed attributes, more people would be having issues.
  8. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    I think that GT5 & 6 are being run on the same servers and things will improve as soon as they shut down GT5 online at the end of the month!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Fingers crossed! lol. It's about the only thing i can think of that makes sense. People i know who have NOT moved to GT6 are complaining of the same issues,that only started when the GT6 GT Academy 2014 went online.prior to that they had more problems than when GT5 stood alone. Food for thought???
  9. Slambobagan

Slambobagan Professional Super ROOZ

Hey guys, I'm having problems now that I've never had before with gt6,
    Last night in the meet and greet every time someone new joined the room I'd get disconected from lobby server and than when I try search friends room it didn't show up for a about 5 mins. Happened 3 times last night.
    When I'm in the room it's fine didn't seem to lag or anything. Any ideas??
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  10. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Slambogan, the people that were connecting to the room, were they on your friends list or were they still to be added (or were they added last night during the meet & greet)?

For some reason when friends are added both ideally need to restart their PS3, which re-logs into the PSN and then you restart GT6.
    This is especially so if one of the people adding the friend request is the room host - otherwise online lobbies can go missing so you cannot find it - but a full reset usually does the trick....or you will only see certain people in the room/on-track so you may never know that you're racing right behind/beside someone else that you can't physically see on-track - yet another PD issue!

Unfortunately the online section of GT6 is an absolute dogs breakfast and there are no real answers as to what is causing the myriad of issues or if/when they will ever get resolved. Until then we all just turn up each week and hope it works OK for us all.

I hope each Div can sort out their online gremlins before the season starter next Sunday!
  11. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    I've noticed that alot of the people having issues that are on ADSL/ADSL2+ already,are Telstra customers & they are using the supplied modem/router,base or better model. I'd suggest throwing the supplied ones thru their shopfronts and buying a new one. The NetComm NB604N is a good cheap choice(under $100,but doesn't handle multiple users at same time) and if affordable something like the Netgear Nighthawk or Billion 7800M. With a decent M/R you should be able to run in low latency profile which is thebest for gaming,but you needto contact your provider to adjust the down/upload rates to give you above 700kbps upload.It's no good having 5Mbps down & only 500Kbps upload as you will lag with other people. Also don't use any speedtests from the ads for slow computers,etc,they are rigged. Use Youcompare.com instead or access your router to see available rates.
    If you are using a pre-configured router,learn how to set up the DMZ or DHCP and turn on QOS function.This will provide the moststable connection:)
    This is about all you can do unfortunately:(
    bjh1012 likes this.
  12. Slambobagan

Hey thanks for the responses, yea I'm waiting on a new modem mine is the providers one and it's about 6 years old. Should get it tommorow. So I'll set it up and test ASAP
  13. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    If it's one of the current Telstra modems,give it back,Ad2mny can testify that he is still having the same issues even after upgrading to the "better" modem. If you buy your own you get what you pay for,which you don't from telstra cause they are marking them up for profit if you do pay!;)
  14. Slambobagan

Well got my new modem im in Nz so it's from telecom. huwei model sounds Chinese haha. It was free so it's worth a try.
    Setup now and had 3 online races with a fairly busy room 10 ish people with lots coming and going,
    Was good no issues at all. So far so good.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  15. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Just remember to set up the DHCP if others are going to use the net at the same time,or the DMZ(demilitarized zone),as well as the QOS
  16. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Huawei is actually good stuff,so you should be good.Here is a link to help set up the CORRECT port forwarding for the PSN. It has a database of 1000's of brands of routers with step by step instructions of what to do,with Photo's of what you should be seeing as you do it.
    http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/PlayStation_Network/

Another thing i read that causes lag that i hadn't seen before is if the media centre connectivity is on,so disabling that is another thing to do.
    stucar17 likes this.
  17. motho

motho Team Driver

PSN ID
    motho
    This maybe a stupid idea, but i wonder if when you set the room up for say 16 people, if the system might set aside enough bandwidth, memory, processor speed etc to cope with that many people regardless of whether they are actually there or not?? So therefore if you are going to have 8 competitiors, setting the room for only 8 might reduce the resources used?

As I say only a guess and probably not right, but wouldn't be hard to test and setting the room to only accept the amount of people your expecting certainly shouldn't make things worse
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  18. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Interesting concept, we could easily set the room number to the listed drivers on the ladder to cater for them showing up, and if there is a no-show there is only one empty spot as opposed to say 4-6.

Anyone else know more about this?
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  19. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    I think we don't have anything to lose.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  20. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01