2014 F1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Darko, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Beau_Albert

Beau_Albert World Champion

PSN ID
    iRacing: Beau Albert
    Well that was by a mile one of the Worst GP's ive ever seen, seriously, if we saw over 10 overtakes I would be blown away, what a single file :poop: show that was :/ So guys, Lewis OR Rosberg? I want Rosberg but after seeing these last few races I gotta go with Lewis :'(
    Crunch likes this.
  2. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    Lewis is and always has been a class above Rosberg. Nico doesn't cope with pressure well.
    If not for technical/reliability issues, Lewis would be much further in front. Unless he has a shocker in Abu Dhabi, he should waltz home with the title.
  3. Beau_Albert

PSN ID
    Yeah after what i saw in italy/russia ill agree the pressure's got to Rosbergs head :/ I think we can all agree Ricciardo's microscopic chances are thrown outta the window :/
  4. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Lewis has been better then Rosberg all year when they both haven't had reliability issues.

The only thing that will stop Hamilton now will be reliability.
  5. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Rosberg is love, Rosberg is life.

-
    I'd just like to give some quick obiter dicta concerning the championship:

Whether you think this is unfortunate or fortunate, it's looking less likely that Bernie & Co. will receive proper harrassment concerning double points. What with the recent teams debacle and the increasing scrutiny over safety, any negative attention that double points gets will be rather hampered. A good point was made by a commenter on another site about the effectiveness of smaller teams boycotting a race potentially; as it's so late in the year, the effects will hardly be felt. Both Brazil and Abu Dhabi do not need the smaller teams as these coming rounds are all about Mercedes. If they did boycott the US Grand Prix, it would simply be a case of 'de ja vu', and comparatively speaking, the uproar would only a fraction of the severity of 2005.

This likewise applies to the 'uproar' of a championship dictated by the double points round. It is looking very likely that the championship would have gone down to the finale regardless of double-points. This presents a grave issue for double-points critics: the higher possibility of Rosberg coming back with the ease of double-points (as opposed to a requirement whereby he had to win, and Hamilton ALSO needed to come no higher than x position) will be welcomed by viewers. You may attempt to refute this, but the fact of the matter is that F1 exists primarily as an entertainment / political class of sport, as opposed to a class of sporting rigour. This proliferates in the fact that viewers are tuning in to watch the Rosberg / Hamilton title fight over the 'genuine', 'equal' merits of sporting practice. Other sports and motorsports are premised around an equal field, in which the entertaining quality is literally the struggle between competitors, and the small battles and technological or psychological intricacies (I enjoy watching tennis as well for this reason).

I don't believe Formula1 has ever been like that. It's a political stage where the world's greatest constructors and drivers compete for historical legacy / supremacy. That is why I am arguing an incredibly fragile, yet weighted prophetical view on the legacy of double-points in 2014; double-points will get ignored as an unimportant issue compared to others the FIA are facing. I believe that double-points is most likely here to stay for the coming years.
  6. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Double points is still retarded and anyone who agrees with it needs their head examined.
    Mister_Bond_747 likes this.
  7. zampli

zampli Team Driver

lol short and concise mus, I like it :D
    hasn't bernie even said double points will most likely go next year? It might not be there most major problem, but it's certainly contributing to f1s problem as a whole. I don't see how it could possibly go ignored, potentially causing a completely retarded championship conclusion.
  8. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    You can say the same about most of F1's stupid rules designed to "improve the show," they need removing, but they wont due to the FIA being one of the most ignorant organisations in the world. Oh how I yearn for the good old days of F1 when where blah blah blah, you've heard it a million times before. Because this is not the F1 I grew up and fell in love with as a little boy. No wonder F1 can't gain a new share of younger fans.
  9. Beau_Albert

PSN ID
    Gotta say, if Nico can win Sao or get within 13 points of Lewis, Abu will be crazy intense, but he just keeps falling under pressure to the might of the #44 car at the moment :'(
  10. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    F1 needs a shake up.
    The best way forward in my opinion is to embrace the manufacturers. The day of the small team is over I'm afraid.
    I would love to see 8 teams with 3 cars each. It might take another works team to make that happen though as Lotus, Force India, Sauber and Williams might struggle to cope with 3 cars.
    Ideally, the grid would be fully supported by manufacturers.
    Mercedes, Ferrari, Honda and Renault. I'd love to see VW/Audi on the grid and maybe another Japanese manufacturer (preferably Toyota but not sure if they'd come back!)
    In any case, my thoughts are that the teams MUST have one car occupied by a 'rookie' driver (a driver who has participated in less than 20 GPs before the season starts). Think about Ricciardo, Kvyat and Sainz Jr at Red Bull as an example.

I'd say go back to V8 engines with turbo. Bigger capacity to improve reliability.
    18 inch wheels at least. This means less reliance on tyre construction. I'd also like to see at least one more tyre manufacturer, maybe BS, Dunlop or Michelin if they are interested.
    Sounds silly, but less fly away races. I think Japan, Australia, Canada, Brazil, Singapore and the US are enough.

My ideal calendar would be:
    Australia
    Malaysia
    Imola
    Spain (Barcelona)
    Monaco
    Canada
    USA (would love to see F1 at Laguna Seca, but Austin will do!)
    Brazil
    Austria
    France (Paul Ricard)
    Hungary
    Germany (Hockenheim)
    Belgium
    UK
    European (Nurburgring)
    Italy
    Singapore
    Japan

18 races is plenty and bringing back more European races will help cut costs and ensure decent crowds!
    F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport, so let the guys race.
    Bring back refuelling (cars must be stopped and switched off before refuelling can commence and fuel hose disconnected before restarting the engine - this will test the teams and ensure no accidents from fuel hoses etc.)
    No fuel flow limits or maximum quantity per race.
    A bigger gap between compounds for each race, meaning more strategy.
    Engines to be independently tested before the season and benchmarked against each other for horsepower and torque.
    If some sort of equality can be had here, it will make for more exciting racing. Engines are then frozen for the season with only electronic mapping allowed to be changed.

Might sound unrealistic (which it probably is!) but these sort of changes will bring crowds back and keep costs down.
    Manufacturers usually leave when the cost outweighs any benefits. They need to be kept interested and able to remain competitive.
  11. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    No way would I have Hockienheim over Nurburgring.

3 car teams sounds like a good idea in theory but history has shown manufactures(apart from ferrari) leave randomly because they are at complete mercy of there board members, and having 1 team leave when each has 3 cars will leave massive holes not possible to be filled by newcomers without massive backing.