Network Lag Network Issue Help/Solutions

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, May 31, 2012.

1. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    From what I know, the majority of games don't use dedicated servers, just a network infrastructure that basically uses the host as the server. In this scenario, it is of huge benefit for the host to have a strong, fast Internet connection (cable or fibre is best.).
    GT5 used this infrastructure, and since we're having similar issues, I can only assume GT6 is the same.
    Dedicated servers would cater to even some of the slowest network connnections, clearly not the case here.
    So the idea of setting up the lobby for a lower amount of players won't help in my opinion. You just need to make sure that the host of the lobby has a really strong connection that can withstand up to 16 players.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  2. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Yes, Lee you are correct on the strength of the host.They have changed things a bit from GT5 in that having chat on or off doesn't effect the room quality. It's best as far as i have worked out that if you have the room set for 16,but only have 12 entrants then the extra bandwidth can be used to keep things stable.(In theory,lol).
    Whether the room is fixed or not seems to be an issue for some but not for others so that's definitely something to be worked out with each division,although unfixed is better IMO,simply because the race continues even if the host dsc's. If fixed what happens if host dsc's on lap30 of 33? The only option is a re-run,unless everybody agrees that the order at that point should stand,& i don't see that happening. I certainly wouldn't agree if i was battling for the lead at the time. The only people who wouldn't want a re-run would be ones that were unexpectedly up the order! lol
  3. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Contacted Telstra. They went through everything I have already done. They said the issue must be related to the psn servers that I am connecting to. I'm more inclined to think now it is a fault with my playstation maybe. It's quite long in the tooth, and has slowly gotten worse over the last 4-5 months. I am consistently getting low 20's ping, and min 8gb up with 700 down so I have ruled that out. The only other cause I can think of is the actual physical lines to the house, but the tbox seems to run fine and so does the PC so I don't know. I wish there was an easy way to eliminate the ps3. I'll have my ps4 next week maybe I can see how that goes, but I don't see problems, I'm the problem lol. *sigh*
  4. bjh1012

bjh1012 Bruce Hale Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    bjh1012
    You may have all reedy tried but over here video shops hire ps3 out may be good to compeer the two of them ?
  5. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Or do you have a friend nearby that would let you borrow their PS3 to see if there was any difference?

And how are you finding out your ping is around 20ms? Is this just from using speedtest or similar on the PC or from the PS3 when connected to the PSN servers?

If the former, your ping should be low connecting to a local ISP server....but once it goes overseas to the PSN servers your ping wont be the same. Ideally what you need to know is your ping between your PS3 and the PSN server you're connecting to.

I'm still yet to be convinced the majority of all these dsc's etc are NOT PSN server issues....but there are so many variables in the mix that it does pay to try and make sure your part of the equation is working as well as it can be.
  6. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Bj that's a good idea m8, but I might be able to borrow a mates ps3 for a Sunday but install and updates will be an absolute killer.
  7. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    Honestly Ad, we were using the same modem and having pretty much the same issues. But since I through that black piece of S#!T in the bin and gone back to the old modem my issues have gone. I really think it is the Technicolor crap that is the issue. Jonno has the same modem as well I think.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  8. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Hmmmm. This week I will test my port forwarding where it counts (Sunday night) then next week my mates ps3. If still no joy will look at a new router possibly. Anyone wanna buy my crappy technicolor one? It will have only been thrown out the window once?! ;)
    bjh1012 and JonoStan96 like this.
  9. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    I am certain your issues Jamie (and Jono's) are caused by that crappy modem. There are reasonable priced options to go for, not necessarily the most expensive is necessarily the best.
    I bought a netgear N700 last year and was great, but my provider in Brisbane could not get it to work (tools), so they ended up sending a rather cheap model they use but has not given me any issues. I did however configure a static IP address and manually set DNS servers on my PS3 (used a program which measures over a hundred servers and gives me the best ones for my connection), DMZ and wired connection to my PS3.
    Ad2mny likes this.
  10. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    What did the N700 set you back? I've got the newer ps3 now and spent 3 hrs updating and installing GT6 o_O so if anyone's on, looking for a room with lots in it to test.
  11. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    Can't remember Jamie, would have been around a 180 when I bought it, but checked and what I had was a N600.
    I would go to jb hi hi or jay car and buy a new router, test it and see if it fixes your issues. If it doesn't work just return it. I did that with 3 routers until my provider just ended up sending one it worked with their connection. It's not fancy but works ;)
    DekGT5mad and Ad2mny like this.
  12. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    This is how organised Failstra is. My mate got Foxtel connected & for some reason Failstra sent him a T-Gateway(Had a look at it & THEY ARE JUNK!!!!!!),even though he doesn't have internet,has never asked for it & never will(Technophobe). When he called them they had no record,etc & told him they hadn't sent one.When he went to the T-Store to prove it,they said they still had no record of it,even though they were able to see the delivery docket & stickers on the box! 2 months later they've suddenly decided to start billing him for a service he never asked for & never wanted,& now he's had to call in the ombudsman to sort the mess out,as they have put him on the credit reporting agency for non-payment! Well done Failstrao_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  13. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    That's insane, I'm so close to chucking this thing out out of pure rage or destroying it Angry Video Game Nerd style lol
    Ad2mny and DekGT5mad like this.
  14. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Watching the Div 4 replay back yesterday Ad2 and you were lagging and jumping all over the track (when the camera is set to your car).
    Turbo and I were having "invisible" issues during Fuji but after the race Turbo swapped out his modem/router for a different one he had lying around and problem fixed. We can now see each other fine and I haven't noticed him lagging on track - not sure if he was lagging previously (I couldn't see him LOL).
    Unfortunately, it seems now that Turbo and Molch are experiencing this issue now (in Div 4).

You don't need to buy an expensive modem/router, just one that works (for your circumstances).
    The generic one's the ISP's provide are usually fine for internet surfing etc but for anything beyond that you're really better off buying your own.

A free tip:
    If you do decide to get a modem from Dick Smith or JB, and you aren't happy with it and want to take it back, DON'T FORGET to remove all your info from the modem settings (usually a factory reset will do the job).
    DON'T just unplug it all and put it back into the box to take back to the shop - it will have your username, password etc for your internet account on it still - unless YOU remove it before returning the unit to the shop.
    DekGT5mad and Ad2mny like this.
  15. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    So the mates ps3 didn't make any difference, nor did Port Forwarding. Funny thing is, haven't noticed or been notified about lag on the PS4. Maybe the servers aren't as busy/congested yet. I'm in touch with Dekgt5mad about a different router as we speak. See how that goes.
    JonoStan96 and S_CLOSE like this.
  16. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Sorry i pulled out guys,but i saw RED after spinning the first time from 3rd when Ad lagged up to in front of me & i swerved to miss him,but kept going until the 2nd time and then i lost the plot.I'm pretty well over these network issues,I've had 2 out of 3 races ruined by lag incidents and am at the stage i see no point,i could be spending the time I-Racing & not having issues.
  17. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Tough gig DEK, I Got that last season.

Stick with it mate !
  18. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Sorry Dek.
  19. Molch

Molch Rookie

PSN ID
    Molch_82
    I can now see and race with turbo fine too since he swapped modems back. I only see lag issues with Admny. end of last season I bought a new adsl modem too. Old . Open824rlw new: tp link td- w8960n. Around the same time also changed to a cabled connection. I've not had 1 dsc since (had a couple last season).
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  20. Molch

Molch Rookie

PSN ID
    Molch_82
    The tp link was only around $80 on ebay I think.